WHY IS PREVENTION IMPORTANT?
At Dental Village Associates we provide preventive dental care which is key to keeping your teeth healthy throughout your life. Good oral health can impact your general health as well. What is preventive dentistry we provide and what are the benefits?
What is preventive dentistry?
Preventive dentistry is dental care that helps maintain good oral health. It’s a combination of regular dental check-ups along with developing good habits like brushing and flossing. Taking care of your teeth starts early in childhood and extends throughout the course of your life.
What are common preventive dentistry services?
Preventive dentistry services include:
- Regular oral exams, usually every 6 months
- Teeth cleaning
- Routine X-rays
Your dental plan may cover you fully for preventive care, depending on the type of dental plan you have. See our dental insurance page to see if Dental Village Associates accepts your plan.
What’s your role in preventive dental care?
Much of your preventive dental care starts with you. Developing healthy dental habits early in life can help reduce cavities, gum disease, and gingivitis. Here are the basics of good oral health:
- Brush your teeth at least 2 times a day—usually morning and night--using a soft bristled brush and a fluoride toothpaste. Your dentist can recommend the best toothbrush and toothpaste for you. They can also instruct you on how to properly brush.
- Floss daily to get food that’s stuck between teeth before it turns to plaque.
- Use a mouthwash to rinse out food particles after flossing.
- Avoid acidic foods that can harm tooth enamel.
- Be cautious with hard foods, like some candies, foods with bones, seeds, or pits that could damage or chip teeth.
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco products--these can lead to cancer and other dental problems.
- Use a mouth guard when participating in certain sports.
- If you grind your teeth at night, ask your dentist for a nighttime mouth guard to help reduce gum recession.